Friday, August 3, 2012

A Pretty, Tidy Kitchen Countertop

Problem:
In our new apartment, our kitchen has this large, wonderful island... I love it! But the sink is in the island, so if I have the soap, sponge, and scrubby brush right there out in the open, it junks up the look of the room.

Solution:
I got these plain white dishes at Target for about $25 -- a plate, a gravy boat, and a pitcher that all sort of match. I got a glass candle pedestal to set the plate on top of, so it actually looks somewhat like a cake stand. I put the sponge and sink stopper in the gravy boat, and long handled scrubby brush in the pitcher, with the soaps perched atop the plate stand. These clean, unassuming items make the perfect display for all my sink accessories! It's actually kind of decorative. :)



By the way, I put a little square of rubber grippy material (it's sold in rolls as kitchen cabinet liner, I think -- not the sticky kind) between the plate and candle pedestal to keep the plate from moving around. It worked perfectly! You'd never know they're two separate things. This is so much better than gluing them together, because I can still put the plate in the dishwasher any time I want. Of course you can get a cake stand, but I couldn't find one that was this inexpensive.

So there's the solution to my countertop conundrum!



No comments:

Post a Comment